Sunday, March 14, 2010

Illegal Substitution......

I learned something new about college gymnastics today. I learn something new almost every time I go to a meet or watch a video. Which is way more often than I'm going to admit here in writing. Seriously, today I watched a recorded meet between two schools, both of whom I hate, and both of whom wear blue and orange. I wanted them ALL to fall off beam and step out of bounds on their floor routines. Not that I'm evil or vindictive or anything...

What I learned today is that you can be penalized in college gymnastics for an illegal substitution. Apparently there is an appropriate time at which to notify the judges that the girl with the ice pack taped to her leg probably won't be going in on bars. We didn't do that, so we were penalized a tenth of a point.

A tenth of a point would have been HUGE last weekend. It would have cost us the meet. Tonight it only drove all three of us crazy and made us add up the scores again and again and again, not understanding why the score wasn't right. It was only after I got home and looked up the recap of the meet that I found out why.

It was the last regular season meet of the season, and I'll admit I got a little teary-eyed when they introduced the seniors.

On to the post-season, and I wish I could feel as confident as I did last year. It can still happen, but it's shakier than I would like for it to be.

1 comment:

frogger_blogger said...

Okay, I was teary-eyed, too. I just didn't let you and Katydid know!
Don't the judges have any obligation to announce stuff like penalties? AND...that was a lame penalty anyway.