Saturday, March 6, 2010

.025.....


You know how little .025 is? I mean, if we were talking money, we would be talking about two and a half cents.

That was our margin of victory tonight in the gymnastics meet with UCLA.

.025

I just keep looking at that number.

We set 17 season-high scores as individuals. Seventeen out of 24 routines were season-best. There were also a host of career highs, but I lost count of those.

We had a perfect 10 on beam.

So did they.

We had a near-perfect 9.975 on vault.

And this was all without our freshman all-arounder supergirl, who is out with an ankle injury.

It was even sweeter because the know-it-all on Katydid's right said we had to have a 9.95 on the final floor routine to tie the meet. When it came in at 9.925, I thought we had lost by .025. The know-it-all to the left of Nurse Jane (notice how strategically I placed myself?) at first said we had won, then she conceded that the other know-it-all was correct and we had lost. They both left before the final scores were announced.

I finally got up the courage to add up the scores for the last round. I didn't want to face the truth. I kept coming up with a win for us, and I kept adding it again. I was sure I had made a mistake.

Even if we had lost, we would probably have improved our standing in the rankings, because we would have improved our RQS. (Don't ask ... trust me, it's complicated.) It's the score that counts, not the win-lose record. But it would also have been the first loss at home since 2005. Besides, I just don't like losing.

Second-highest score in the nation this season. Almost broke the magical 198 mark.

That's what I'm talking about.

We now return you to the real world, where it's NOT all about gymnastics. I just don't live there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that picture is making my lady business hurt in ways it shouldn't hurt at 7:22 in the morning unless I've just had a vegas adventure.

xoxo

BB said...

Tee hee to Neena's comment... but what an interesting post. I have watched gymnastics on the tv (Olympics etc) but never really seen it much. The pressure sounds huge. That said, I reckon my Violet would be up for it!
:-)
BB