Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Vacation or what?????????

Here I am in sunny Florida, but not really for fun in the sun. My sweet girl is having surgery tomorrow (thankfully minor--outpatient only), and of course her mama had to come down to be with her. The trip down was uneventful. I let the GPS lead me down US 441 and US 1 instead of the interstate. I felt like it was slow going, especially through all the little towns. But my overall travel time was almost exactly the same as when I travel all interstate. Go figure. And it was much less stressful.

I have trained myself to drive calmly. No road rage here. If a car pulls out in front of me, I pretend there's a sick baby in there and the parents are rushing to the hospital. If a car drifts into my lane, I assume the driver has a close family member dying of cancer and is therefore distracted. Okay, sometimes I do slip up and question (aloud) the driver's mentality, education, heritage, lineage, potty training, and relationships with siblings. Most of the time, though, I remain calm and remind myself that those people don't know me, so their actions couldn't possibly have been directed at me personally. Please award my gold star(s).

I don't know if I'll go back home the same way, though. Although the time was about the same, the interstate just FEELS faster, and I'll be in a hurry to get home to my sweet hubby. I'm hoping my girl recuperates nicely and we can also do some shopping/movie going/swimming/playing at the beach/more shopping before I have to return to the real world of a new school year.

1 comment:

MJ said...

ten gold stars!!! It's so hard for me to keep calm when there are so many IDIOTS on the road! LOL.