Monday, August 18, 2008

Energy Shift

Wow. I can't believe how tired I am. I didn't sleep in all summer long (except for one indulgent Thursday when I slept until 7:00 AM). I got up at 5:00 all summer; I went to bed as close to 8:30 as possible. (It's either that or sit here alone and talk to myself.)

And after two whole days of school, I'm wiped out. I can't figure it out. My job isn't that tiring. I'm not having to adjust to getting up early again. In this job I don't have to stand in front of the class the way I used to, worrying about what to do when I run out of things for them to do or they decide they really do outnumber me. I have a maximum of 15 in a class; one of my classes had 7 today (shhhhhhhhh.......).

And they were dead silent today, working at their little computer stations. I didn't have to threaten, cajole, coerce, redirect, or bribe a single student. No one bowed up at me or another student, not a single cell phone showed its face in my room, no one even went to sleep in class.

But I'm exhausted all the same. I don't have to write lesson plans, I don't have papers to grade at home, and I'm beat. I don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blame it on the youth of America...they can suck the life right out of ya!