Saturday, August 2, 2008

Team Chi-Chis!!!!


Here are the charter members of Team Chi-Chis at Rest Stop #3 on the Covington Century. Man, was it hot. Whose idea WAS it to do this ride in 95-degree weather? And where did all those people come from? One year I actually parked IN the parking lot. This year we had to park about 1/2 mile away and hike to registration and back.

Riding a 50-mile bike ride is a lot like childbirth. (I know, I've also used that analogy for a lot of other things, like writing a dissertation.) In the middle of it, you're wondering "What in the Hell was I thinking?" And then when it's all over you say, "Well, that wasn't so bad." And then before you know if you've lost your mind and signed up to do the same ride again. Or another similar one. Okay, I realize I've just given away the fact that we did not, in fact, turn at the 80-100 mile route. But the sign made for a good picture anyway. If I had thought at that rest stop that I still had 60 miles to ride, I would have just slit my wrists. Even 10 to go at that point almost made me cry. But those last 10 weren't nearly as bad as the 16 between Rest Stop #2 and #3. We had some relatively minor mechanical issues with the tandem today, but we were able to resolve them with Rozmo's help.

Bless my sweet husband for buying steaks for tonight. Normally we go out to eat on Saturday, and normally I am more than happy to do so. But tonight I just wasn't up to it. Bless him for knowing that. I just wasn't into the whole hair, makeup, and what-do-I-wear stuff tonight. I had a short nap, two beers, a refreshing swim in the pool, and another beer with my steak. Thank goodness I can sleep in tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! I'll save a spot in the AC for ya :o)

Greyhound Girl said...

Wow- go you!!! That is completely awesome!

(And thanks for linking me to your blog! That's pretty nifty!)

(And I adore The Scarlett Feather- one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors!)