Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Not the Usual Police Blotter Blogger Fodder.......

There was a funny (at least to me, but I admit I have a warped sense of humor) item in the police blotter in yesterday's paper. This is not the paper I usually get my police blotter stories from, but a newspaper in the college town down the road that actually approaches real journalism. Whereas the stories I usually write about are funny because of the crimes that are committed, this one was funny because of the way it was written. I can easily picture the person who is assigned the inglorious task of writing the police blotter stories grinning as he or she typed this jewel, one of several items highlighting arrests from the weekend. There are always lots of arrests over the weekend of the first home football game, particularly one that kicks off at 7:30 PM.

A 24-year-old Athens man trying to open car doors in the court house [sic] parking deck. When police approached him, he said he was searching for a place to sleep, according to the report. He then tried to get into a car filled with people he did not know. The driver refused to unlock the doors and police let the man sleep at the Clarke County Jail after charging him with public intoxication.

You gotta love someone who can (purposely, I'm sure of that) inject some humor into a routine story about just another routine drunk.

1 comment: