Thursday, May 6, 2010

Irritating Noises......

It's that time of year when I'm exhausted pretty much all the time, so it is no problem for me to go to sleep. Last night was no exception, and I fell asleep immediately, in spite of the fact that my mind was whirling with possible solutions to the fact that I can't get Mario through the castle in World #2. I suck at video games, but I'm long on determination.

I was awakened by the "ding" of my cell phone with a text message downstairs. Because my online students are taking exams yesterday and today, I went down to see what it was. It was a plaintive text message from a student who has begun to get on my last nerve. He has problems following directions, mainly because they go through his mother first. I turned off my phone without responding, but I found it difficult to go back to sleep.

Because the ceiling fan in our bedroom had developed a very irritating squeak.

It sounded a lot like Gus when he wants something. You know, high-pitched, squeaky, whiny sound.

And it wouldn't stop.

I stood it as long as I could, but of course then it was like water dripping only not as regular, and I found it impossible to go back to sleep. I finally got up and turned off the fan. We have the air conditioner on in the house now after all.

At 3:20 I awoke to the sound of the squeaking ceiling fan. Apparently Hubby got up to go to the bathroom and turned the fan back on.

I turned it off again and managed to go back to sleep for a little while before the alarm went off at 5:00.

Here's the thing:

Hubby is a very light sleeper. He hears everything. He hears the coffee pot come on in the mornings. He knows whether or not the newspaper has been delivered in the mornings.

And he said he COULDN'T HEAR THE SQUEAK.

He sprayed it with the amazing lubricant that probably keeps the earth spinning on its axis, but of course he can't tell if it worked or not because he couldn't hear it in the first place.

Now here's a question:

Will I hear it anyway? I mean, will my mind convince me it's squeaking even if it isn't really? Ceiling fans do, after all, make some amount of noise all the time.

I hope it's fixed. Otherwise I'm sleeping in the recliner.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

It's sorta like that "if a tree falls and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound" concept.

Maybe it was never squeaking at all...