Friday, October 30, 2009

Kindle Update......

Because I raved about my Kindle when I got it, and because my blogger friend Maggie asked, I'll update you on my Kindle status.

I don't really like it.

I miss turning the pages. I miss being able to "flip" back a couple of pages to reread something. Oh, you can go back on the Kindle, but you know how your brain remembers where on the page you read something? When you go back on the Kindle, it might not be in the same place.

And there aren't pages. There are "locations" because of the ability to change the font size. If you enlarge the font size, there would be more pages, so page numbers wouldn't make sense. You can highlight and "clip" selections of text, which I found fairly handy. Even better, they are stored online at Amazon, so you can access them even without the Kindle on. Or even when you are away from it.

I was thinking of selling it on that auction place online, but then I got an email from my friend Rozmo asking about how large the font would go. Her neighbor is legally blind and wanted to try the Kindle, but she didn't want to sink a lot of money in one if it wasn't something she would be able to use. I sent her mine to try out, and I'll sell it to her for about half what she could get a new one for, if she wants to keep it.

It was very useful on vacation, when I could load any number of books (they say it will hold 1500 books), and I only had to keep up with one thing. It's also very thin and lightweight and it fits in my purse. I like that I can think about downloading a book, and by the time the thought is fully formed, it is already on my device. And charged to my credit card.

But I really miss turning the pages. I hope Rozmo's neighbor can use it, because then I can feel all good about myself for helping someone out.

I could use the money to buy some other sort of gadget.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Well, I'm sorry you don't like it. I've been researching them for awhile now and am glad to get your review- I do value your opinion. My drawback was just what you said- I would miss turning pages. I would miss holding the weight of a book in my hands and the smell.

And I hope it works for the blind person. That would be great!

AmandaSue : ] said...

I have an iphone and I can download books on it. I can also download kindle. but you are right it's just not the same as reading a real book. It's not as relaxing.