Wednesday, June 6, 2012

BRAG Day 4....

For some reason it always seems to be a good idea to ride the century...at 6:30 in the morning when I have fresh legs.

Actually I didn't decide until the first rest stop that I would ride the century. I knew Rozmo wasn't going to ride it, and I didn't particularly want to ride it alone, but I also knew that temperatures in the 80's as opposed to the 90's don't happen very often on BRAG.

So I took off on the century route, and while I had a couple of bail-out options along the way, I'm much too stubborn for that. It was brutal, and not just by my standards. I heard a lot of seasoned riders talking about how challenging that century ride was.

And for the record, it was 103.84 miles.

On the plus side, Frogger Blogger lives nearby, so she came and took all three of us - Katydid, Rozmo and me - to her house for dinner. We had spaghetti (something I rarely get to have, since Hubby won't eat noodles), a salad, and garlic bread. For dinner we had a WONDERFUL Reese's peanut butter pie. (It wasn't homemade, but it was awesome nonetheless.)

I hope I won't be sorry tomorrow that I rode the century today. Tomorrow's SHORT route is 70 miles, and the Hammerhead adds another 10 miles. Rozmo is toying with the idea of doing the Hammerhead; I am not.

When I went to pick up my prized bandanna at BRAG headquarters, I was talking to the ride director about how tough the century was. I used the word "sadistic," and she said another rider had used the exact same word. We wound around some of the hilliest subdivisions I have ever seen in my life. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they planned this route.

Oh, the things we will do for a piece of fabric.

2 comments:

DJan said...

Nice little piece of fabric! And you earned it, B. I am enjoying your excursion, even if I haven't been commenting every day. I really like the way you write.

Kelly said...

Good for you for completing the Century ride! You almost make me wish I still rode my bike. Almost.