Tuesday, June 5, 2012

BRAG Day 3......

Today was one of those days I kept thinking to myself, "If I were at home, there's no way I would be on a bike." The first light raindrops fell just as I was walking out of the RV this morning. It started raining just a little bit, but not really enough to require a jacket. By the time we got to the first rest stop, though, it was raining steadily. Rest Stop #1 was in a building, and while we were there I looked out the window and could barely see the parking lot. It was POURING.

We couldn't wait all day, though, so we left in the steady rain. For some reason, it's worse to LEAVE in the rain than it is if it starts raining WHILE we're riding.

We rode in the rain most of the day. Sometimes it was just an annoying drizzle, and sometimes (especially downhill) it felt like needles stinging my face. I wasn't grumpy, though, remembering that no one held a gun to my head and forced me to be out there. In fact, I could quite easily have gotten in the RV and come to Roswell with Katydid, but I came here to ride my bike, so ride I did. In fact, Rozmo and I did the Hammerhead Route again today, which explains that little appendage near the top of today's route.


On the positive side, the rain has made temperatures much more pleasant than I remember them EVER being on BRAG. We have only had to run the air conditioner one night, and tonight it is cool enough that it won't be necessary.

To top off the evening, Katydid and I had dinner with my friend Amanda, one of my BFFs from high school. We went to a very nice restaurant in town, and Amanda came back and visited with us for a while.

Tomorrow's mileage is still to be decided. That's the nice thing about the layover day: there are four different route lengths from which to choose (29, 49, 61, or 101 miles), or we can just not ride at all. Yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen.


No comments: