Sunday, March 11, 2012

Last Home Gymnastics Meet...

Our team had two gymnastics meets this weekend, one in Michigan and the last one at home. That seems almost cruel scheduling, but it gives them next weekend off before the SEC Championships on March 24th.

We ended on a good note, a win and a decent score (197.375). We had several career highs again, and from some new folks. I think it's a good sign that more and more of our girls are putting up new career highs every week. I HOPE it's an indication of our depth. We not only had to contend with some nagging injuries this week, but a couple of the girls had some combination of flu and strep infections. So the fact that we were able to cope with adversity is a drastic improvement over last season.

Being the last home meet (and the last regular season meet), it was Senior Day, time to recognize the girls who were competing in their last meet before the home crowd. One thing they did that I thought was REALLY cool was that they also recognized (and gave flowers to) the seniors from the visiting team. I think that's classy. (We're not the only team that does that, but I still think it's cool.) The other cool thing is that they recognized a girl who would have been competing on Senior Day, but she was forced to medically retire in (I think) her sophomore year without ever having competed. It would have been easy for them to pretend she was never on the team, but they brought her (and her husband!!) out to be recognized and gave her flowers, and I got teary-eyed.

I readily acknowledge that it doesn't take much for me to get teary-eyed.

Now it's on to the post-season, with at least two (and we hope more than that) competitions on the way to the national championships. No one, and I mean NO ONE, in the gymnastics world gives our team a snowball's chance in a hot place to win the national championship.

I hope the girls can shock the hell out of them prove them wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DJan said...

Hope to read about the success of the team right here in the future, Bragger. Nothing wrong with getting teary eyed! I do it several times every day...

Donna said...

Lemme ask you a question -- IF we are able to pull this off, this being Da Dawgs winning Nationals, WILL you be a Good Enough Person that you won't go scampering throughout the message boards going 'neener, neener'. 'Cause I won't. Be that good of a person.

The Run-On Sentence Lady