Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Guess Technically We Did Better......

In the last gazillion years, Florida has repeatedly thrashed our beloved Georgia Bulldogs. They have beaten us soundly and with embarrassingly lopsided scores.

The only exception was in 2007, when Katydid and I went to Jacksonville for the game (also known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, but officials from both schools have tried to quash that moniker). Georgia handed out its own thrashing that year, and it was so so so so so so so satisfying.

We have come to expect Florida to beat us. Maybe not the TEAM, but certainly many of the fans. Every year we say, "This is the year," but we only half believe it.

This year I really believed it. Florida has sucked almost as badly as our team has this year, so I thought this was our chance.

When the game started out with our quarterback being intercepted ON THE FIRST FREAKIN' PLAY OF THE GAME, I thought, "Oh no, here we go again."

When it was 21-7 in Florida's favor at halftime, I thought, "Oh no, here we go again." I thought another blowout was coming.

But then when we tied it up, I really thought we had a chance. When it went into overtime, I thought we had an edge, because Florida's kicker is injured and the punter is having to do the place-kicking. Our kicker, on the other hand, is kick-ass. Seriously good. When we won the toss to start on offense in overtime, I thought, "We got this."

But no.

Another loss to Florida. In overtime.

Their sucky kicker wasn't sucky enough when it came down to winning the game.

It wasn't a blowout, but it still goes in the "L" column.

I've examined this situation closely to see if I can come up with the bright side, and the only thing I've found is......
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I used the words "quash" and "moniker" in the same blog post.

No comments: