Thursday, June 24, 2010

How 'Bout THAT Dawg.........

It is a well-known fact that I am a sports junkie. I will rabidly follow any contest, particularly if I feel that I have a representative in the match.

I tried to watch the U.S.-England soccer match, but those damn horns made it impossible. I don't understand soccer AT ALL, except for the "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!" part. But I felt obligated to pull for my country. I will try to follow the U.S.-whoever match this Saturday from the family reunion. No, I will NOT simply use it as an excuse to retreat to my room. Maybe.

Wimbledon is something I have been in love with for years. I especially like that it comes on at 7:00 AM. Hubby came home the other day while I was watching a match, and he heard them say something about the two weeks of Wimbledon. He said, "This crap stays on for TWO WEEKS!!!!!"

"Yeah," I said dreamily.

I didn't get to follow yesterday's action because I was at school interviewing prospective students for next year. I didn't know about the epic match between Isner of the U.S. and Mahut of France.

It's not just that Isner is from the U.S.

He played his college tennis at UGA. If you've read this blog more than once, you are more than likely well aware of how I feel about all things UGA. Especially all sports things UGA.

I couldn't believe the match had gone to 59-59 in the fifth set and play would continue for the THIRD day. I couldn't wait for it to come on.

When I discovered they wouldn't play until 10:30 AM Eastern, I called and canceled my hair appointment. Saved that eighty bucks, by golly.

And when Isner prevailed 70-68, I got teary-eyed. I was so proud when he showed up for his press conference wearing a UGA Bulldogs t-shirt.

I hope tomorrow's match doesn't go that long. It starts at 7:00 AM, and we've got to hit the road by about 1:00 to go to the annual family reunion. More on THAT later.

I love sports in England. The Open (which used to be called the BRITISH Open, until they got all uppity about it) is in three weeks.

Heaven.

No comments: