Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Got My Butt Kicked but I Didn't Lose.....

I returned today to the scene of my mountain biking humiliation from last week, determined that a measly little 12-mile biking trail would NOT get me down. Besides, Rozmo came over to mountain bike and kayak, so there was no getting out of it.

We did the whole trail, except for a couple of sections labeled "Monster Mile (Advanced)." I already KNEW I wasn't advanced; I didn't need a section of trail to make it transparent.

I was completely demoralized toward the end, when I kept thinking we were back to the starting point and we weren't. And when we DID reach the end, we still had to ride back to my house. It was only another half mile or so, and it was PAVED!

Mountain biking is for the young, not the young at heart. I hurt in places I didn't know I had places. Today's ride was harder than any day on BRAG, and it ranked right up there with a century in 100-degree heat. It's odd how DIFFERENT the hurting places are after mountain biking compared to road biking. For example, my lower back is killing me, and my neck may never be the same. My HANDS hurt, fercryingoutloud, most likely from the DEATH GRIP I had on the handlebars.

When we first started talking about doing this trail ride, I remember thinking, "Twelve miles is such a short ride. Maybe we'll do it twice."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I had another "I'm-afraid-I'm-going-to-faint-right-here-on-this-trail" episode today, at the top of the same hill. I think I'm allergic to climbing that particular hill. Because today I clearly had enough water, and I still got all woozy and dizzy.

After mountain biking we took our kayaks back over to the park. I wasn't really up to it at that point, but it was okay because all we did was paddle to a little cove, tie our kayaks to tree branches, drink a beer, and talk. Not much work involved at all.

I won't say I WON'T ride the mountain bike trail again, but I can assure you it won't be this week. Next time, however, I'm finding a bail-out path.

It can't compare at all with what I was doing all day on this date 26 years ago. Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!

No comments: