Wednesday, June 9, 2010

BRAG Day Four.....

Today was our layover day, two nights in the same town. It's something BRAG started doing back in 2001, and personally I love it. It offers lots of options: ride a short ride, ride nothing and rest, do laundry, shop, whatever. It is also traditionally the day of the Century ride, 100 miles (103 this year) in a single ride.

We opted NOT to do the century. Not in this heat.

However, on a day when we could have chosen to stay in the motorhome and read, play video games, watch tv, or just rest, we chose to ride.

We chose the 55-mile route, which turned out to be 59 miles because we decided to venture out on our own and ride some additional miles on a path that we started out on. We were wandering all over a military base, always an excellent idea. That's just the way we roll. Ha ha ha ha ha ..... that's the way we roll ..... on a bicycle ride.

I'm hilarious.

We were not arrested, followed, or challenged in any way. That is a little disturbing, considering the level of security we are SUPPOSED to be under. We just rode our bright blue bike onto a military base, left the approved path, and got the attention of absolutely NO ONE. I guess they didn't think terrorists would be wearing spandex and pedaling a tandem.

High Points:

  • Riding the first 8 miles and the last 8 miles on the Riverwalk. It's a path along the Chattahoochee River. We can throw a rock from our campsite to Alabama. We probably won't, though.
  • Seeing 22.22, 33.33, 44.44, and 55.55 on the bike computer. Forgive me, it's my weird numbers thing rearing its ugly head again. I missed 11.11. I've missed it every day so far this week.
  • Having the correct tool to repair my shoe cleat at the top of a hill.
  • Finding the missing screw for the cleat still in the pedal. If we hadn't found the screw and/or had the correct tool, we would have had to get in a sag vehicle FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER and return to camp.
  • Finishing.
Low Points:

  • The cleat thing.


1 comment:

Maggie said...

Personally, if I could throw a rock from one state into another one, for fun, I would. And if I wouldn't hurt anyone or break stuff, I would.

I think it's awesome you chose to ride rather than be slugs, when you totally deserve to be slugs after all the riding you've done.

Can't wait for day 5!

(Yeah, I'm not even bothering to comment on the military base thing... would be to easy...)