Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sorriness.......

Today I have been what my mother would describe as "SORRY". Only she can say that word with such venom, such underlying wrath, that I can never duplicate it. I wish I could record her saying it and post it here sometime. Maybe I'll make that my new project.

Hubby inexplicably decided to work today. The temp service called and asked if he would help a guy on a drink route, not the company he retired from, and he said "Sure!" because neither of us can turn down the chance for extra money. Then he called me from the route today and said they wanted him all the way through next Friday, and he said "Sure!" because he's an idiot I'll be going back to school anyway. As of this moment, he has been gone from home 12 hours. Some retirement.

I didn't really mind him working, because that gave me all day to get some things done for myself. I had excellent intentions.

You know what I did though?

I played Nintendo.

All day.

Except for the time I spent playing the Wii, but the remote needs batteries, so I had to quit. I texted Hubby and asked him to bring some home rather than go 2 miles to the store and buy some myself.

Sooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyy.

Okay, okay, I did make up the bed, because for me there is a fine line between sorriness and pure slovenliness, and I didn't want to cross it. I was afraid I would never come back.

I also folded a load of laundry, but only because I felt guilty that those clothes had been in the dryer since Monday.

Oh, and I took two books back to the library for Hubby. I didn't even put on a bra. And I wrestled with the idea of paying the .20 fine if I took them back tomorrow, but I lost that argument with myself. It wasn't the .20 -- it was knowing the look Hubby would give me if I didn't do the ONE thing he asked me to do.

I proofread a paper for Sweet Girl that she has to turn in tonight, and she emailed it to me Monday night. That's just pure sorriness, letting your child down like that. Your child who is in the Navy AND going to college. I'm guessing she will just add it to the growing list of things for which she will never forgive me.

I don't know why I'm beating myself up because I spent a day doing nothing. I guess I'm as entitled to a free day as anyone else, but it's fairly unusual for me. It's not like I'll have this choice starting next Tuesday (a mere 6 days away), when I report back to school.

I'm going to try to be more productive tomorrow. But I'm going to give myself permission not to.

2 comments:

KatyDid53 said...

You are totally entitled to be as sorry as you want to be, whenever you want to be. I am giving you permission. You do SO much during the school year. If I were you, I would not do anything ALL summer! Love you.

Maggie said...

I think being unproductive is productive, especially for people who are productive most of the time in their lives.

Relax and be unproductive for a few days. It's good for you. Think of it as previwing your retirement options.