Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Bruised Ego......

I have spent way more time than I should admit recently, playing Mario Brothers on Nintendo DS. I got to a couple of points where I just couldn't progress, so I consulted the almighty universal teacher, Y0uTube, to find out what I needed to do to defeat a particular enemy or access a certain level. Hubby says that's cheating, but I maintain that I still had to DO whatever I learned. In my analogy, it would be like one of his golfing buddies telling him which way a putt is going to break. He still has to do the putting.

I made it all the way through the last level, level 8, and defeated the TWO bad dudes in the last castle. The words "The End" came up and the credits rolled. And rolled. And rolled. And rolled. I think more people were involved in the production of this game than were in the movie Ben Hur, including all the extras. I've never seen that movie, so there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

What bothered me, though, was that the game skipped from Level 3 to Level 5, and then from Level 6 to Level 8, bypassing both Level 4 and 7. That bothered me, because while I could say I had defeated the final monster, I had not actually completed each and every level.

So I went back to Y0uTube to see how to access those two levels, and sure enough, there were two instructional videos ("walkthroughs," I've discovered they're called) showing the secrets of how to access those two levels.

They were posted by an 8-year-old.

I think his parents should be monitoring just how much time he's spending playing video games and posting walkthroughs on the internet.

Some might suggest someone should be monitoring me.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I had got laugh out aloud... and I told Mac who thought it was entirely logical...