Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nashville....

I am FINALLY posting some pictures of our trip to Nashville this past weekend. I'd love to post some video, especially of the Grand Ole Opry, but I've already discovered that A) I can't edit video worth a crap; and B) it would take the rest of my natural life to post.


Above is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. We didn't want to pay $20 for a tour, so we just went inside and spent $80 on souvenirs.

I have to admit that I didn't know how the Grand Ole Opry worked. On some level I knew it was a radio show, and I was aware that it was live. I just thought it was more of a concert. I didn't realize that BUNCHES of singers would come out and just do one or two songs and then go away. I can't possibly remember everyone we saw, but they included Little Jimmy Dickens, Jim Ed Brown, Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Connie Smith (imagine THEM showing up at the same place at the same time), Kelly Pickler (I didn't know who she was because I have NEVER watched American Idol, but I think I'll buy one of her CD's now), Ralph Stanley, John Connelly (who didn't sing my favorite song of his, "I Don't Remember Loving You"), and others. I would like to go back to the Grand Ole Opry someday.
This is the original home of the Grand Ole Opry, the Ryman Auditorium. Now it's a museum. We didn't want to pay the $10 for the tour, but we spent $50 on souvenirs.

This is one of the ubiquitous horse and buggy units that you see in virtually every tourist town in America these days. I'm sure I'll see one in my very own town soon. Maybe that's how I will get to school. I thought it was so cute that this dog rode in the buggy, and then when they stopped, he jumped from the buggy onto the horse's back. We were going to get a horse and buggy to take us back to our hotel, but the guy wanted $30 to take us 13 blocks. And give us a 30-minute tour. We didn't have 30 minutes, and we didn't want a tour. We just wanted a ride. We walked.

According to Katydid, who used to be married to a man who owned a printing business, the biggest business in Nashville is NOT country music, but printing. Or maybe that was back in the day. At any rate, there were no printers to be found on Printers Alley. Sort of makes me wonder why they keep the sign up there.

This one was for Sweet Girl, who considers it her life's mission to visit every Hard Rock Cafe in every corner of the world. She has been to all of these exotic places: Rome, Naples, Dubai, Bahrain, Greece, Paris, and the first place she goes to in all of them is the Hard Rock Cafe.

Hubby is sort of an Ernest Tubb fan. I bought him an Ernest Tubb CD (but not in this store, go figure) because his last one disappeared.

Last, here's proof that I was actually where I said I was. Just in case you thought I Photoshopped the rest of the pictures.

1 comment:

Ann(ie) said...

FUN!!! I wanna see the grand ol opry so badly one day! Maybe I'll drag hubby there on vacation next year.