Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Doctor is In....Wait....Not....

One of my students came to me yesterday, obviously distressed. She is participating in a weight loss/healthy choices challenge at our school, and she was apparently dismayed to learn that she weighs FIFTY-THREE more pounds than she thought she did.

Of particular concern, though, was her blood pressure, which she said was 146/100. I agreed that was alarming, particularly the bottom number. We discussed some changes she could make, small ones that she could actually put into practice, both to treat the blood pressure and to help her lose weight. I encouraged her to pick very specific things (walk 30 minutes a day rather than "exercise more") and not try to cut out every single bad food all at once.

We talked for a few minutes, and I think I succeeded in making her feel better. As we were wrapping up the conversation, she thanked me and said, "I couldn't even concentrate on my work. I told myself I had to go talk to Dr. [Bragger]."

Holy mother of all that's good.

I hope she doesn't think I'm THAT kind of doctor.

3 comments:

DJan said...

Oh, my. That is a pretty high blood pressure for anyone, but for a young person, it's scary. I do hope she can lose some weight, that's the best way to get it down without drugs.

Kelly said...

Even if she was confused on what type of "Dr." you are, you still gave her good, sound advice.

Dose Pharmacy said...

Thank you for posting such a great information! found your website perfect for my needs.