Friday, August 27, 2010

Someone is Always Worse (Off) Than You Are.....

I've been beating myself up (when I'm being honest and not trying to blame it on Hubby) all week because of all the C-R-A-P I have to go through so we can get these renovations done. I am far from a packrat, but I do tend to hang onto things "just in case" I ever need them. I had a junk room in the "computer room," which is also where all my clothes are stored because for some reason in the late 60's and early 70's home builders APPARENTLY DIDN'T THINK PEOPLE NEEDED CLOSET SPACE. Then when Sweet Girl moved out and took her bedroom furniture, her old room became a convenient place to store things. Or just shove them in the room and shut the door so we didn't have to look at them. I've known for weeks....months that I needed to declutter my house.

I read an article online tonight, though, that makes me feel better. Apparently a 67-year-old woman went missing in Las Vegas, and they've been searching for her for 4 months. Four months, people. Several times police had searched the home where she lived with her husband, even using dogs from the same unit that helped locate bodies after 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. Posters were put up, rewards offered, leads investigated, the desert searched.

Then her husband found her.

Dead.

In their home.

When he noticed her feet sticking out of a floor-to-ceiling pile of junk.

Four months, people.

They don't know how long she's been dead, but I'm relatively certain she didn't just lie down under all that junk to take a nap.

Seems she was one of those hoarders, evidently a pathological one. Investigators had a hard time investigating the scene because of the horrific odors and the piles of junk.

Suddenly I feel better about myself.

You can read the whole story here.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Oh that is soooooooooooooo gross... and sad.