Monday, December 1, 2008

Snow Flurries.....

A few snow flurries fell around here today, just enough to get the students all excited. We're talking flakes in a quantity that you could count. I am not making this up: A student evidently told others in my room today that it was snowing outside. When someone looked to me for verification (evidently said student doesn't have a very good track record as far as trustworthiness goes), I stuck my head out my window/door and reported that, no, it was NOT snowing. The eye-witness reporter said, "Well, it's snowing over in Ms. Raven's room." I'm sure he meant it was snowing OUTSIDE Ms. Raven's room, but still... Our building isn't that big. It's pretty inconceivable to think it might be snowing on one side of the building and not the other.

It doesn't take much snow around here to get folks excited. If the 12 flakes that fell this afternoon had fallen early this morning, school probably would have been canceled. There wouldn't have been a store in the area that still had milk and bread, and every idiot who had the day off from school or work would have been out riding around at speeds well above the speed limit.

Our next door neighbors moved here from Buffalo, New York last year. She is also a teacher. I'm going to be so embarrassed the first time we have to close schools for a dusting of snow on the ground. There's just no explaining it.
This picture is from January 19th of this year. Notice that my Buffalo neighbor still has her plastic Santa on her porch. It stayed there until March.

If this "blizzard" hadn't occurred on a Saturday, I assure you we would have been out of school anyway.

No comments: