Sunday, September 26, 2010

Going Green.....But Maybe Only Mint Green So Far......

Like many people, I have made some efforts to have a "greener" existence. I am not completely committed to it, and sometimes I'm downright lazy about it. But I figure that any changes are good changes.

  • We recycle plastic, newspaper, and aluminum cans. Hubby sells the aluminum, and the sanitation company picks up the recycling along with our trash. I have a fear that they dump it all in the same truck as soon as they are out of sight. 
  • I have stopped washing clothes every single time I wear them. Oh pipe down, I'm not talking about bras and panties here. But there are some things I don't feel get "dirty" every single time I wear them. For example, linen tops under which I have worn a tank top. That cuts down on the water, detergent, and energy used to launder them. Not to mention it gives me more time for sewing on my quilt.
  • I don't know if it counts that I rode my bicycle home from school last Thursday, since Hubby had to take me to school. He was going to the golf course anyway, though, and at least MY car didn't get cranked at all that day. I'm planning to do that a couple times a week until it gets too cold and dark to ride. I'll never catch Rozmo's cycling mileage for the year, and I probably won't make my own goal of 2010 miles this year, but every little mile helps.
  • I use reusable bags at the grocery store exclusively. I'm still trying to convince the grocery baggers not to cram everything into four bags, rendering them fifty pounds each, and then hand me back two empty bags. I'm having a hard time training them.
  • I take my lunch to school, and I'm trying to use more containers and fewer plastic baggies. I also wash and reuse the plastic forks and spoons I keep at school. Every now and then a student asks for a fork, and when I tell him or her to bring it back, I get an astonished "Oh! You're serious?"
  • I only run the dishwasher when it's full. Unfortunately, that's almost every night. I'm not really sure how two people can dirty up so many dishes, especially when one of them professes not to cook and the other one refuses to consider thinking about pondering the possibility of maybe learning how.
  • I sometimes blog about the same subject over and over, eliminating the need to come up with new topics that might go straight into the trash.

No comments: