Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sore Sitter-Down.....

Now that I have a brand-new Harley (see yesterday's post), I only hope I will be able to ride it to school tomorrow. After the 170-mile round trip yesterday to get it, I was a little sore in the sitting down place. Then today my sister and I did a 54-mile BICYCLE ride on the tandem. The weather was perfect (well, a little hot at the end), and the route was nice. The only complaint I would have is 20 miles before the FIRST rest stop, and then 20 miles between the LAST rest stop and the end of the ride. It was a very rural route (excellent from a traffic viewpoint), so it's not like we had the choice of stopping at a store. That's a long time to go without a potty break, and I ran out of water. I tend to panic when I run out of water. I probably won't ever die from dehydration on a bike ride, but for me the THOUGHT of being out of water completely overtakes my concentration and I obsess about it. I almost stopped at a fire station and asked the folks there if I could fill up my water bottle. Surely they couldn't have turned me down, could they?

It's been a wonderful weekend, but I confess that I didn't get a lot done in the school work department. (That's not really unusual for a weekend, however.) Nor did I do laundry (in progress as we speak). Nor did I vacuum and mop (can wait a couple of days). Nor did I clean out the refrigerator (note to self...don't open some of those bowls). Nor did I go to the grocery store (oops.....this one may cause a problem). Not to fear, I try to keep an emergency frozen pizza in the freezer for occasions such as these.

Apropos of absolutely nothing..... (I love saying "apropos").......

On the way home from the bike ride today, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that said, "Happiness is a Tight ______." Insert 5-letter word that means cat and is often used to refer to the female genitalia. I HATE that word. Always have, always will.

I was so offended. And I'm by no means a prude. I believe in free speech, yada yada yada, but I think that's going too far. What kind of person SELLS stuff like that? And what kind of person BUYS stuff like that? And what kind of person drives around in a car with that message on the back bumper?

I tried not to generalize about the man driving, and I tried not to chalk it up to his being from a county in our state that has received much negative attention on the news lately and whose public school system just lost their accreditation.

I don't usually stoop to road rage, but this one nearly got the best of me. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours gave you a motorcycle...I'm waiting for mine to give me a golden retriever. We'll see...

Badger said...

Shamelessly plagiarized from "Blazing Saddles" and modified to boot, but here's your explanation for the incredibly stupid bumper sticker...

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the old South. You know... morons."

Anonymous said...

Wow I just don't know what to say about that bumper sticker.

I hope you get out on the Harley soon.