Friday, September 26, 2008

"Common" Courtesy...

Whatever happened to common courtesy? It doesn't appear to be so common anymore. I had to go to the tag office today to transfer the registration from the Honda to the new Harley. It was a quick and painless procedure, and I was in and out of there in less time than it took to take my helmet and gloves and goggles off when I got there.

The girl called me to the counter just as the phone rang. She answered it, and then continued to carry on what was obviously a personal conversation the entire time she "waited" on me.

Girl: Oh, you have to stay late?

Pause

Girl: Why?

Pause

Girl: Mutter, mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble, mumble

The only time she asked the person on the phone with her to hold on was when she was going to get up and go get my new license plate for me.

I said, "I just want to transfer the plate from the Honda to the Harley."

She sat back down and continued her conversation, interjecting occasionally with, "Five dollars, ma'am," and "Thank you."

It wasn't busy; one customer was waiting for another one and the woman next to me just didn't get the answer she wanted. But other than that the place was deserted. So couldn't she have put the phone call on hold just long enough for me to leave?

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fuddy-dud. I don't expect public workers to kowtow to me or fall all over themselves helping me out. But it would be nice to think I'm worthy of having a conversation with. I'm tempted to write a letter to the tax commissioner, the person responsible for running that office. If I were that girl's supervisor, I would ask her to correct her behavior or find a job somewhere else. My mother would have a field day with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't waste your time writing a letter...all they want is your money. They already have that.