Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Toys....

When I typed the title of this post, I got depressed because of what I now consider "toys."


I wouldn't normally get this excited over appliances, especially ones that require some effort on my part to operate them (wouldn't that be ALL of them?), and I certainly wouldn't call them "toys." But for some reason I've been giddy over my recent purchase.

It could be due to the fact that I wasn't here when they were delivered, and I've already forgotten all the work I had to do just to make room for them.

Our washer and dryer live in the basement (must have been a 70's thing), much to my chagrin. There is sort of a "laundry room," but it's mostly just a sheetrocked section of our unfinished basement. The floor floods when it rains a lot (if it ever rains again, that is), and it smells like a musty basement.

I guess there are advantages to having the washer and dryer in the basement. I can't hear them, so the noise doesn't interfere with whatever sporting event I may be watching in the living room. When the dryer buzzes at the end of a drying cycle, I can ignore it if I choose. Not that I choose to ignore it often; I've gotten better at that in recent years.

I haven't used them yet. I had just bought a new container of liquid detergent before we made this purchase, and now I have to take it back and exchange it for the "high efficiency" kind. I was too tired (and uninterested) to drive to the grocery store when I got back from Jacksonville today, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

The second best thing about my new washer and dryer is the capacity. Since we changed to a king-sized bed, I haven't been able to wash an entire set of sheets in one load. I mean, I COULD, but it was bordering on overloading the machines, and I didn't think they were getting sufficiently clean.

But the absolute BEST thing about the new washer and dryer is that they can sit side-by-side, instead of one being on one wall and the other being on another wall.

All is symmetrical now in my world.

At least the world as it pertains to laundry.

1 comment:

DJan said...

I live in a rented apartment with coin operated laundry machines I share with the riffraff who live here. We meet downstairs in the basement now and then, but I usually get up really early to escape a fight over the machine I want. So your new "toys" look mighty good to me! Congratulations!!