Monday, July 11, 2011

Risky Business......

I am considering .... meaning I'm going to jump in with both feet the very instant the realtor woman calls back .... a risky venture.

I've always been a risk-taker, but usually only when it involved the chance of bodily harm: jumping out of airplanes, climbing on the roof, standing up in roller coasters, riding a motorcycle.

We have an opportunity to buy a house in another state. We're not moving, though. This house is part of a rental community, and the house is basically an investment. It can also be a vacation home. It is in the community where we had our family reunion last month, and my (favorite .... shhhh....) cousin lives in the cottage next door.

It is a four bedroom "cottage," and each bedroom has its own bath. It isn't on the beach, but it's on the marsh, in a very quiet area. People probably don't go there for a rip-roaring good time. It's more the kind of place you go just to get away from everything and relax. Hubby would pull his hair out there, if he had any hair. We'll have to make sure he has television if/when we go there. It is only about 30 miles from Hilton Head, so a rip-roaring good time isn't far away, if that's your thing.

Hubby is a very ..... let's just say "cautious" .... man. He has lived in the same house since 1973, for heaven's sake. 1973!!!!! He has retired, I am planning to retire next year, and the thought of taking on a mortgage at this stage in our lives makes him nervous. Actually, it makes him not want to talk about it. And it makes him want me to shut about it (I think).

It's just one of those situations that I feel in my gut if we DON'T do it, we will regret losing the opportunity. The house has been foreclosed on, and the auction company is willing to sell it for one-fourth the amount it was originally listed for. You can tell I'm excited, because I just ended a sentence with a preposition and I DON'T CARE.

The payments would be manageable (barely) even if it NEVER rented, but if it rents out more than a weekend a month, it will pay for itself. The same realtor is in charge of the entire development, and she takes care of furnishing the cottage, handling the rentals, and maintenance. Oh, and she pays the electric bill.

I think if Hubby had seen the cottage in person, he would be as excited as I am. As it is, though, he just says, "Do whatever you think best." That's not exactly a glowing endorsement. I think initially he thought I wanted to MOVE there, but I assured him that's not the case. We would we WAY too far from UGA football games and gymnastics meets.

I vacillate between being excited, being nervous, and saying "oh to hell with it."

Don't tell Hubby this, but if I HAD to, I might even consider ..... shhhhh...... continuing to teach if it meant I could have this (extra) house. But only if I had to!

I know the economy will (eventually) turn around, and the housing market will (eventually) pick back up. We could probably sell this place in five to ten years (closer to five, please oh please oh please oh please) and get twice what we are potentially going to pay for it.

I am positive there is something I'm not considering. What haven't I thought of? Please, readers, be my voice of reason. Mine took a leave of absence years ago.

2 comments:

KatyDid53 said...

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!!! If I could, I would!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.