Thursday, July 21, 2011

Name That Tune.......

Some of the most hilarious moments Hubby and I share are those that spring up spontaneously and take on a life of their own. I'm guessing we aren't the only couple in the world who do that. We have little sayings and phrases that are meaningful only to us, and if we try to explain them (not that anyone asks), they don't make sense to anyone else. I'll write about those another day, for they are only tangentially related to this topic.

Are you impressed that I used the word "tangentially" in my blog? No? Darn.

We were sitting on the beach the other day, just watching the waves and waiting for the occasional mostly uncooperative dolphin to appear. Hubby was drinking beer, and I was drinking those little tiny bottles of wine that come in a four-pack. Only I poured it into a wine glass. On the beach. What a dork. I don't even DRINK wine. Much.

While we were sitting there, it began to sprinkle rain just a little. Not even enough to cool things off much, just a scattering of drops. I don't know who started it, but we began trading song lyrics with rain in them.

"Oh it must be raindrops, so many raindrops...."

"It's raining on prom night...."

"On a rainy night in Georgia...."

"Rain falling, always falling...." (This one may have been unfair, since the lyrics are from a TERRIBLE song sung by Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge, and Katydid and I may be the only humans on earth who have ever heard it.)

"Raindrops keep falling on my head...."

"Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain...."

"In the cold Kentucky rain...."

"Singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

"Rain dripping off the brim of my hat, sure is cold today...."

"When I woke up the rain was pouring down, there were people standing all around...."

"Who'll stop the rain?"

And for some unknown reason, Hubby cried foul when I came up with "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer...." I think he should have been a little clearer about the rules.

And then the sun came out.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...."

"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...."

"Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain...." (BONUS!!!!)

"On the sunny side of the street...."

Anyone else want to play? Leave your contribution in the comments section. You can contribute either rain songs or sun songs or both.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

"Here comes the sun king" (Sun King by the Beatles - Abbey Road... though I could have chosen their other "here comes the sun, little darlin'")

"Rain, bring your rain again" (Rain Song by Day of Fire)

"I've seen fire and rain" (Fire and Rain by James Taylor)

I could come up with many more, but I'll stop and let someone else play.

Maggie said...

"Songs about Rain" (Gary ALlan- not lying!)

"I only want to see you laughing in the purple rain..." (Prince)

"Blame it on the rain" (Milli Vanilli)