Monday, June 27, 2011

Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell......





This was a fun read about a young girl in Cornwall, England (it's apparently a seaside town, down on the southwestern "corner") and the shenanigans she and her roommate (Hester) get up to, along with a new friend, an author named Orla Hart, whom Millie meets when the author is contemplating - planning? - suicide.

I really enjoyed meeting the characters in this book, and the repartee among them was superb, particularly that between Millie and Hugh Emerson. There were a few coincidental occurrences that begged the imagination to stretch just a wee bit too far, but the plot was pleasant enough not to make them eye-rolling events.

Don't read this book if you are searching for deep symbolism, soul-searching themes, or spell-binding suspense. (Is that redundant? If so I apologize.) In spite of a few grammatical errors I caught throughout the book (I am a grammar snob, after all), I found this book quite enjoyable. A definite beach book. 

I love the English vernacular. My favorite words are "loo" and "knickers." Does that mean I'm still stuck in middle school?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happen to love books with no deeper symbolism or meaning. Sometimes trash is good for the mind!