Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reasons I Should NOT Work At Home Full-Time......

When my part-time online teaching job started hiring folks full-time (WITH benefits AND retirement), I almost fluttered myself to death. The hopes....the dreams....the possibilities.....

I have come to realize, however, that working at home full-time would NOT be the ideal job for me. And that's not JUST the sour grapes talking, either.

Here are some reasons I should NOT work at home full-time:

  • I have a hard time creating a schedule. I just work all the time until it's all done. Which is pretty much never.
  • I try to watch Wimbledon over the top of the laptop while I'm grading work. I'm sure I have interjected a profanity or two into my comments on students' assignments.
  • My hair would NEVER get brushed.
  • I would NEVER wear a bra again, and you know what that means for someone past forty.
  • Hubby would always expect me to prepare his lunch when he comes home from work.
  • After January (or February or March), Hubby will be home all the time (when he's not at the golf course), and being on a computer does NOT constitute work to him.
  • My posture is horrible enough now; imagine day after day of sitting in the recliner with the laptop.
  • The kitchen is just a few steps away.
  • I get used to not leaving the house, and then it becomes a painful ordeal just to go to the grocery store.
  • My friends at my "real" job would miss my sarcasm.
  • Having 10 students this summer is wearing me out. If I taught full-time, I might have 50 or more at a time. I'd be bonkers. Even more so than I am now.
  • Right now when I get overwhelmed, I just quit for the night even if I'm NOT caught up. And I say to myself, "Screw it. Let them fire me if they want to." If I worked full-time, I would not have that luxury.
  • If I worked full-time online, I wouldn't have time to have another part-time job that I would use to buy toys. (There's something bass-ackward about that, but I can't pinpoint it.)
  • I have already learned that teaching online does NOT allow the freedom to travel that Hubby and I are looking forward to, even if it seems like it would.
  • My wardrobe would consist of ONE t-shirt, ONE pair of shorts (sweats in the winter), and ONE pair of flipflops. And no one would even know that the t-shirt would be the same one I wore on the elliptical the day before. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
  • I would never be able to convince some of Hubby's family members that although I never left home, I wasn't really available for errands, drop-ins, and gossip.
  • Gus would be up all day every day, and he would never again get the proper amount of sleep.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yeah, sometimes when you get something you've said you've always wanted, it turns out to be not what you wanted at all. I'm looking forward to early retirement, but need to start planning now what I'm going to do with all that free time that I'm longing for. I have 5 more years to figure it out.

Maggie said...

I worked at home for a year and it was not a good experience. I wasn't fired from that job but I think if I stayed at it for another month I might've- it was NOT good. I know my limits!