Monday, October 1, 2012

I Don't Know Where the Time Goes......

Today wasn't a blow-it-out-of-the-water day as far as productivity, but I didn't exactly sit around eating bon-bons either. (Oh how I wish I could sit around eating bon-bons without negative consequences.) It has rained steadily all day, a lovely sound on our metal roof, but I didn't even take a nap. So where did my day go?

The things I did, for the most part, are things I would have accomplished even had I still been working. Therefore it baffles me how the day sneaked past me on little cat feet and streaked away in the darkness.

Hubby and I have been paying our local YMCA for the past few months, just for the privilege (apparently) of driving by and seeing the building from the road every now and then. I told him one day last week that we really, really needed to get back into a routine. I need to add weight training to the exercise I get from cycling, and I think using the machines really helps Hubby's back. And his shoulder.

Lucky for me (**ahem ahem**), Hubby remembered my statement this morning while I was still enjoying my coffee. So off to the "Y" we went, and boy are my muscles telling the tale tonight. Not the legs so much, because they get a regular workout, but my arms and chest are whining. I guess that's a good indication I needed it.

I can't account for the time between our return from the "Y" and lunch. I'm positive Hubby took a nap, and I probably checked Facebook a hundred times or so. I started the first of several loads of laundry, and I made lunch for both of us. (Okay, THAT is something I wouldn't have done if I were still working.) I'm sure I played that stupid video game a few times, and then I decided the best time to get a pedicure is in the middle of the day when everyone else is at work and school.

I prepared a light dinner, we went to check on Hubby's mom (not doing well), I finished up the laundry and changed the sheets on our bed, and suddenly it's time to crawl between those sheets. Where did the day go?

A former co-worker used to say he had figured out why time seems to go so much faster as we get older. He used the example of a five year old, for whom a year is 20% of his life. For someone who is 50, though, a year is only 2% of his life, so the slice of the pie is much smaller and goes by much faster. I will admit (albeit begrudgingly) that his logic makes sense.

Maybe another way to look at it is by comparing the way days flew by during vacations compared to the working days. Retirement days are just another sort of vacation day. But I wish they would slow down so I can enjoy them.

1 comment:

DJan said...

Can you explain why the days sometimes crawl but the years fly? :-)