Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pedal for Paws........

Rozmo and I did a ride today that she's done for several years, but it was only my second time. It starts only steps away from where Hubby and I tailgate, so the date of the ride varies depending on the UGA football schedule.

The ride ended at about the 58.5 mile mark, but Rozmo and I can't have THAT, not as card-carrying members of the Round Numbers Club, so we rode out on the North Oconee River Greenway for about a mile and back so we could round up to 60 miles.



We also have a ride of about 66 miles tomorrow. Sure, I thought back-to-back 60-mile rides was a GREAT idea. And the one tomorrow requires that I leave home no later than 6:00 AM. (I only hope I go to the right town this time.)

We had beautiful weather today, unlike last year when it was incredibly windy. Katydid and I were also on the tandem last year, which made it tougher, since the route is fairly hilly. The only complaint I have about today's route is that the rest stops don't have any potty facilities. I realize the ride organizers are trying to save money for a cause (in this case the Athens Canine Rescue), and having porta-potties costs money. In their defense, the first rest stop was at a barn formerly owned by singer Kenny Rogers, and the property is either in foreclosure (several owners since old Kenny owned it) or in the process of being sold. So the restrooms we have been able to use in the past weren't open. Likewise, the second rest stop was at a state park (right beside a VERY cool covered bridge) where there are public facilities, but due to some miscommunication (or lack of communication), the restrooms were locked. So Rozmo and I were forced to get closer to nature than we intended, and I don't squat very well.

I don't want to nitpick, though, since even a bad day on the bike is better than a good day off the bike. And it wasn't even a bad day on the bike. Tomorrow is supposed to be considerably cooler, and I'll have to break out the cycling knickers for the first time. And my cycling jacket. But it'll still be a good ride because it's in a beautiful part of the state. Report tomorrow night.


No comments: