Saturday, October 20, 2012

Casey Cagle's Charity Ride.....

Casey Cagle is our Lieutenant Governor, and he is an avid cyclist. He also sponsors several charities, one of which strives to combat childhood obesity.

It isn't a huge ride (yet), only in its second year, but it is only 20 minutes from my house, so I was eager to ride it. It gets old driving two hours or more to ride a bike 50 to 60 miles.

Today's ride had options of 20-something (we never pay attention to that one), 50, 66, or 100 miles. We knew we wouldn't be riding the century, since that's what we did just LAST Saturday. I was sort of leaning toward the 50-miler, using the excuse (?) that I had to go to Lukey-Luke's birthday party at 4:00. I succumbed to peer pressure, however, and went along with Rozmo and Rita on the 66-mile ride (which turned out to be only 65, and I was glad). Rita was her ever-cheerful, upbeat, happy self, and once again I resisted the urge to tell her to put a sock in it.


It was VERY, VERY, VERY chilly at the beginning. So chilly that when the route started off on some nice downhills, I whined, "I don't WANT to go downhill!" Naturally those words came back to haunt me at the end of the ride, when we had to go back up those very same hills.

The Lieutenant Governor was trying to ride with multiple groups today, and we saw him at the first rest stop. Rozmo (the only person I know who could get away with such things), said to him, "You lied to me! You said it was only hilly at the beginning!"

I told her, "Yeah, but he didn't say how long the beginning WAS."

Then Rozmo proceeded to tell our state's second-in-command that he had nice legs and that he might want to consider shaving them. (In her defense, she did NOT tell him, although she said it to me, that he had a nice butt.)

The route went right by the subdivision where Lukey-Luke and his parents live, and I was tempted to just stay there and tell Hubby to meet me there for the birthday party. But there was the whole shower/clean clothes/make-up/hair thing to consider, so I pedaled on.

I would be happy to do this ride again, particularly since it is so close to home. If they have it at the same time of year every time, it will just be a crap shoot regarding the weather. It could be 40 degrees, or it could be 80. That's just the way it goes in the South.

By the way, I didn't get many good pictures of Baby Luke at his birthday party. He was sleepy and overwhelmed with all the goings-on, and many people were jockeying to take pictures. So I stayed out of the way for the most part, but I will see if any are worthy of posting tomorrow.


No comments: