Monday, October 29, 2012

Sniffle, Sniffle, Sneeze, Sneeze.......

I may be the first person ever "fired" from a volunteer job because I can't stop sniffling. It IS a library, after all. I mean ... media center.

Last Wednesday, my first day of volunteering, I blamed it on the fact that I left the house in a hurry (not used to punching a clock anymore, I guess) and forgot to take my "allergy" medicine.

Image from mediapartnersinc.com

I take "allergy" medicine every day of my life, not because I have allergies, but because I have vasomotor rhinitis, which basically means I have allergic symptoms that are NOT caused by an external stimulus. I call it being allergic to myself. It's annoying because it's year-round and there's nothing I can avoid to keep the symptoms from declaring themselves, and over-the-counter allergy medications appear to stop being effective after a period of time. So I get on the merry-go-round and try a different one for a year or so, until IT stops working.

Blast.

The MOST annoying part of it, however, is that the symptoms mimic a cold exactly. Sneezing, watery eyes, sniffling, runny nose (blowing it doesn't help, and sorry if that's TMI), red nose from constant wiping, etc. The only way I know for sure whether or not it's a cold is if it lasts more than half a day or so.

Today I DID take my medication before I left to go to the elementary school, so I can't blame it on that. It may be that this particular brand of medication has stopped working. I'm not really sure how to test that, except to see if it lasts more than a day or so, but then how do I TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THAT AND A COLD?

It's not that I necessarily feel bad. If the wind weren't blowing a jillion miles an hour, I might have gone for a bike ride today when I got home. So I'm thinking it isn't a cold. Maybe.

It is, however, annoying.

It could at least show up with some kind of label to let me know what it is.


1 comment:

DJan said...

I get them both. I can tell the difference, but I can't exactly tell you how, except a cold makes me feel much worse.