Friday, January 30, 2009

I Didn't Want THAT Color.....

You know, it's the little things that motivate me sometimes. I wrote a few days ago about my cycling goals for 2009. I want to double my monthly mileage from last year every month except for January (when I had 0 miles) and June (when I had 367.37).

I was determined to get a ride in during the month of January. Not just so I wouldn't have a big fat zero on my log, but also because I realized that in the yearly comparison graphs, I would have a whole new color.

So I went out and rode yesterday just to get a new color. Please don't send the men in white coats to get me yet.

I wasn't really sure I wanted to ride. The weather was beautiful, but it was still a bit cool and slightly windy. I don't DO wind on my bicycle.

I stood in the yard with my hands on my hips, debating whether or not it was really worth it. I already had the bike out and had aired up the tires, so that excuse was gone.

Then I remembered that I would get a new color. That inspired me enough to get on my bike and actually pedal. I use a GPS, so I couldn't just say I rode "about" 10 miles. I actually had to ride.

I have a sweet little route with little traffic (but lots of train tracks, and I managed to get stopped by the same train TWICE) that's just over 10 miles. Perfect for a late afternoon ride. Plus it has this sweet little downhill section where I once reached 37 mph. Yesterday I only hit 33, but I didn't want to go fast because it was COLD! I just realized I used the word "sweet" twice in this paragraph. I don't think that's allowed.

It actually felt good to be on the bike, and I would have ridden longer except I knew that when the sun dipped beyond the tree line, I was going to be miserably cold. Did I mention I don't do cold?

And this is my reward.


See that little blip above the "1" that is of some undetermined color? That shows my mileage for my one and only ride so far in 2009. I was hoping for a vibrant, lively color like the ones for 2006, 2007, and 2008. A sunshine yellow would have been nice. Especially since that is my very favorite color in the whole world. Or a soothing lavender color. Even orange would have been okay, and I do orange even less than I do cold.

I think that little blip has bar graph envy.

No comments: