Friday, November 9, 2012

Flashback Friday - Dick and Jane........






I hadn't thought about the Dick and Jane books in YEARS. We used these in elementary school when we were learning to read.

I don't remember if it was first or second grade when we used these books. It seems there was a series of books as opposed to a single book. (Someone help me here!)

One reason I can't remember which grade it was is because I went to both first and second grades in the same year. They didn't know what else to do with smart children way back then. There were no gifted, SCOPE, challenge, or whatever classes. I thought for the longest time that they moved me up to second grade because I wouldn't go to sleep during nap time.



These books started my lifelong love of reading, and I'm embarrassed to say that when I saw the book advertised in a catalog, I got a little teary-eyed. Then I got on the computer.

I got off the computer approximately $130 later. (The book didn't cost that much, but I saw several other things I simply couldn't live without.)

I almost didn't want to take the plastic wrap off the book. But I wanted to see the pages, smell the newness.

It was just like the feeling I had when I was learning to read. I wanted to see what Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot, and Puff were up to. (These books are probably the reason my first dog's name was "Puff.") I couldn't wait to open the book and discover new things.

It's pretty much still like that today.



1 comment:

DJan said...

They were my first books, too. I am so glad you had a chance to buy these and take that trip down Memory Lane with Dick and Jane! :-)