Monday, November 28, 2011

Black Friday Shopping.....

I have resisted the concept of shopping on Black Friday for a number of years. The phrase I use for it most often is that I "avoid it like the plague." The day after Thanksgiving is for lying around in my yoga pants, decorating the Christmas tree, watching football, and eating leftovers. It is NOT for going out with three million of my closest friends and fighting for bargains like the world is going to end tomorrow.

My daughter, however, has other ideas. Since she made the trek home this year for Thanksgiving, I conceded and agreed to go shopping on Black Friday. I tried (without success) to talk her into going at midnight on Thanksgiving, since it would TECHNICALLY be Friday, but she wasn't buying it. No, her idea of a good time is getting up at the crack of dawn and fighting the crowds.

The things we do for our children.

Even when they're grown. And we should be over our parenting guilt.

I didn't set an alarm clock on Thanksgiving night, because I didn't think it was fair to ask Hubby to be a part of this craziness. I woke up all by myself at 4:44 AM, didn't hear Sweet Girl stirring, and wondered if I just went back to sleep if I could pretend that I overslept.

Being the good mother I am (**cough cough**), though, I got up (albeit reluctantly) and got dressed. I did NOT put on make-up, and although I DID brush my hair, I'm sure it didn't look like it. I wore the favorite blue plaid zip-up shirt I featured in a Favorite Things Friday post about a week ago, and off we went. (Note to self: Should you ever lose your mind again and participate in Black Friday shopping, there are these things called hats. They hide bedhead hair very well.)

We went to a mall about 23 miles from our house. It's the only mall Sweet Girl thinks exists. To be fair, the only other one near us is also about the same distance away, and it doesn't have nearly the stores.

There was a line outside Barnes & Noble because it didn't open until 6:00 AM. I seriously questioned the sanity of those poor folks standing around in the cold waiting for a store to open. The mall, however, was already open and doing a brisk business. We had a brief breakfast from the chicken place with cows as their mascots, and we were off.

To make a long story even longer, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There were no pushing crowds, no incredibly long lines (except in one store that Sweet Girl loves, but she didn't find anything there she wanted anyway), and we actually got some good deals. I did find myself succumbing to the sales tactics, even saying to Sweet Girl one time, "Oh, I didn't spend $40, so I won't get the free tote bag. I'll be right back."

Folks, if there's anything I DON'T need in this world, it's another tote bag. Even a free one. But I spent enough to get it (and another one at a different store). Further proof that educated doesn't necessarily mean smart.

I was pleased with my purchases, though, and I think Sweet Girl was happy with what she got. I bought more pairs of panties in that one shopping trip than I usually buy in a year, but they'll last me for a year. I bought another pair of jeans and a belt. I don't think I've EVER had a decent leather belt in my whole life. I bought a couple of bras from that place that guys are either embarrassed to go in or make excuses to go in. I bought a page-a-day calendar for Hubby's birthday (Jan. 1st, how appropriate) that has become a tradition. I lusted after several many pairs of boots, but I resisted the temptation. I bought two new pairs of dress slacks for school, along with a crisp white blouse with a ruffle down the front. Damn, I'm glad ruffles are coming back.

Now if only afros would come back in style. With my hair, I can DO an afro.

All in all, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. Sweet Girl started fading before I did, and she was ready to come home. It felt weird, leaving the mall at around 9:00 AM. The crowds were gone, and there wasn't even a line at Barnes & Noble when we checked out.

I may even consider going again next year. But don't tell Sweet Girl. She will hold me to it.

No comments: