Saturday, February 18, 2012

Life is All About Timing....

....and most of the time mine isn't great.

Take today, for example.

While this isn't a TRAGIC event and normally wouldn't even appear on the radar of life, it is worth noting. Besides, it's excellent blogger fodder.

Let me set the stage for you, because that will make this blog post even longer than it needs to be.

Hey, give me a break...I'm just home from a gymnastics meet, and you COULD be reading about THAT. (And probably will tomorrow, so don't let that breath you're holding escape too soon.)

Katydid and I were planning to leave for the meet at around 1:45, so I had PUH-LENTY of time this morning to get some things accomplished. Instead, I sat around and crocheted, surfed the Internet, and dozed. (I've GOT to teach that dog to recognize numbers and train him that if it's Saturday, the get-up time should NOT start with a "5".)

Then at 12:00, when I should have started getting ready, I decided to go walk in the park. It was a nice day and I hadn't exercised today, so I took Gus and we walked. The long route.

I had my music playing on my iPhone, and I promise I'm getting to the point of this blog post.

I don't have THAT many songs on my iPhone...fewer than 100, I would guess. And I had it set on "shuffle," which I'm guessing means that the songs play in some kind of RANDOM order. (Is that an oxymoron? I think so.)

I'm no statistician, so I can't give you a good estimate of the odds of any particular song playing on my iPhone at any given moment on an hour-long walk through the park.

However, knowing the kind of luck I have, and the fact that irony follows me around like a piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe after using a public restroom, I should have been able to predict with some certainty that if I ran into one of my students (and two of his friends) as my walk was ending...

...the song that would show up and play randomly on my iPhone while we were talking would be the Jimmy Buffett song with the lyrics, "Why don't we get drunk and screw?"

I don't even LIKE that song that much.

No comments: